Sunday, August 22, 2010

Stepping Out in Faith

Church is a part of our lives, like eating & breathing. It's funny how it came about, because for years we were of the club "Sundays are for sleeping in". Until we visited a tiny little church, McGaheysville United Methodist, just a couple miles up the road from our house.


Although I grew up going to church, my husband Willie did not. His Faith Journey has been a bit more "fast tracked". We jumped into MUMC with both feet, and attend Sunday School after the contemporary service, and Willie was invited to a small men's group that meets once a month as well as the United Methodist Men. It was a big change for my garage-loving husband to suddenly be in social situations, adding on top of that the sharing of his Faith with other men. After all, "manly" men don't talk about Jesus - do they?

You bet they do! So this morning, Willie and Chris, another "manly dude" from church, attended Grottoes United Methodist Church and gave the message to the congregation. I never thought MY husband would be the one to stand in front of a hundred strangers, talk about his Faith journey, and share his relationship with Jesus. I mean, this is the guy who speaks when spoken to, an introvert more comfortable under the hood of a car than in a conversation.

So Willie shared his story - how he always believed in God but didn't grow up in church; how we found our church through a funeral I attended; joining different groups within the church and making friends; how he now sings at the contemporary service with the Praise Band; how he reads the Upper Room and he & I discuss different things within the Bible; and what he struggles with when it comes to trusting God.

Obviously, I'm very proud of my husband and the confidence he has gained. As he was practicing what he would say last night, I could relate - when I do Willow House parties, I'm always nervous, I want everyone to enjoy themselves and have a good time, I want to share something that inspires them, and I'm scared to death that I'll "mess up". But I also lean on God, that he will help me with the courage and strength I need. And He knows what we need, if we just put our Faith in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment